Thursday, 25 February 2016

Sheffield Students’ Union- the gateway to exploring oneself!

Sheffield Students’ Union is the gateway (after academia) to exploring oneself. It gives you the
opportunity to come out of your comfort zone in an entertaining manner. When I first joined
Sheffield I was a shy individual that would just not get one of my friend zone, but after joining
various societies and committees this changed me without even realising it myself. For example, prior to taking part in extracurricular activities I had never been on a trip on my own (which involved bookings trains, Hostels etc), but after signing up for the Give it a Go trip to Oxford it made me realise how fun it actually is to travel around. The next step was organising it all alone, so during my second year (I was 19 years old) I decided to plan a week long trip alone to London. Although it is very simple to do so at any time, it didn’t feel like that in my head at the time. But it just shows that signing up for different events at the Union early on changes the way we act in our environment. It was one of the best decision I’ve ever made.
Mohamed: International Office Ambassador from Bahrain

No comments:

Post a Comment