Thursday, 31 March 2016

Diane gives us her tips for surviving the exam period


HI all! It’s Diane Lee, International Office Ambassador for South Korea. You can find out more about me from my profile

After the wonderful Christmas holidays and exams are now over. I think you may find the exams in England different to what you’ve taken so far in your native country particularly in many Asian countries. But no need to worry about that! I am here to help and will give some tips for you.



First tip: Don’t skip the lectures.

Most lecturers usually upload lecture slides and notes beforehand, so some of students often think that reading the lecture slides is enough to understand the lecture instead of attending them. But I think this is ridiculous and not true. Attending lectures are one of the ways to learn more effectively. Lecturers help you understand the theories with the appropriate examples, giving hints on what’s more important.



Second tip: Read relevant articles.

Reading relevant journal articles helps you gain deeper and wider understanding of the lecture. Lecturers sometimes give you recommended reading lists for the module. Or, you can search on the university online library ’star plus’ which provides access to e-books and e-journals by yourself. 



Third tip: Practice to write.

This is the most important process for a successful exam. Most exam questions in England require essay style answers, unlike multiple choice or short answer questions in some Asian countries (where I studied!). So the answers, of course, should be well presented in English. I know it is really tough for those who are not using English as the first language. In my case, I came up with a few of possible questions by myself and took them thoroughly as if it is a mock exam, timing myself as to ensure I spend the right amount of time.

Practicing to write relevant topics can be surely helpful for your exams. By doing so, you can build up your skills to convey compelling ideas on the answer sheet and also can figure out what you have to study more. You can also practice taking past versions, which helps to familiarise yourself with the format of the questions.  



Fourth tip: Give yourself enough time to study.

During the exam season, the libraries get crazy busy. Thousands of students are there. I’m a library person so I also stayed in the library all day long. But it was quite difficult to concentrate as it was so crowded. So, I think the best option would be to give yourself enough time to study and no cramming and then you’ll hopefully have successful exams.




                                                       (Information Common during the busy exam seasons)


By Diane Lee
International Office Ambassador for South Korea
Email: korea@sheffield.ac.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment