Monday, 7 March 2016

Mari's experience of Sheffield student accommodation

Hi, my name is Mari and I am an International Office Ambassador for Japan. To find out more about me, please visit my profile.

Today I will talk about my experience at student accommodations in Sheffield. Before starting my master degree in Sheffield, I participated in an English pre-sessional Academic English course in summer. It was a 4 week pre-sessional course and I stayed in a university accommodation (Ranmoor), during the course. It takes 20 to 25 minutes to walk from Ranmoor to the university. I quite enjoyed the atmosphere surrounding the university, as it is very green, quiet and has safe environment.
A view from my accommodation
Inside university accommodation complex
Endcliff park near my flat
A path nearby my accommodation





Accommodation of Ranmoor is a collection of building blocks, which looks almost like a small village. If you choose an en-suite room, you will have a private bathroom, which I found quite convenient and nice especially in the morning. I shared a spacious kitchen with 7 people, which acted more as a common room, where we sometimes had a pizza party. In my opinion, it was very helpful to build bonds between flatmates, and it was nice to have someone to talk to, especially when I felt stressed.  We sometimes hung out together at a pub after having dinner. It was quite nice to head back to the same accommodation, and not need to worry about going back home alone.

making pizza at my flat
homemade pizza!
Looking back, it could have been more difficult time for me, to adjust to new life, in the new city if I hadn't stayed in student accommodation. It was harder than I expected to settle in a new place and get over culture shock. So it was very helpful to have someone who was experiencing the same thing, and reminded me that I was not alone.

My flatmates and I would often talk about which supermarket is the cheapest, or of places to leisurely visit.  We also shared culture differences, for example, introducing music from each other's country. It was quite a memorable time for me.

Overall, I can recommend staying at university accommodation for the first year, especially for international students. Bills such as water, wifi and electricity are all included, so no need to worry about paying bills. You can select accommodation from different locations. So it depends on your preferences, if you would like to live somewhere close to the city, or if you prefer to live in a calm and green environment. Please see overview of university accommodation for detailed information.

I am sure that you will have a nice experience, sharing a flat with other students, which will surely benefit your student life here in Sheffield.


Mari
International Ambassador from Japan
Email: japan@sheffield.ac.uk




No comments:

Post a Comment