Thursday, 24 March 2016

Winter Holidays - Hiking, Steelmaking and Potato farming






After several months of studying and working hard at the university, it was relaxing being home. 1 month of pure bliss without any worries. The holidays mostly consisted of meeting friends and relatives, having a gala time with everyone and having lots of new experiences. Here’s a list of the things that I did over the holidays:




Hiking: Warm winter afternoons paired with scenic surroundings make it the perfect combination for hiking. My city, Bokaro, is surrounded by a plethora of natural beauty including lakes, hills and rivers and there are loads of areas around it that make a beautiful getaway for a day.


Learnt to separate chaff from grain: Although newer machines have replaced such work, going back old school and experiencing how people used to spend hours just to make a proper living makes you respect all kinds of work.














Went potato farming: I went to visit my grandmother in the Indian countryside and found myself surrounded by a surprising number of potatoes. Being one of the staple food along with rice, potatoes are extensively cultivated throughout India.










Internship at a steel industry: I gained a first hand experience of the production of steel through a 2 week long internship at SAIL, the largest producer of steel in India. Starting from the coke oven and ending at the rolling mills, it is truly a marvellous process to see, at least once in your life. 








Presentation on engineering: Nearly at the end of my vacation, I met my old school principal and he invited me to address students between the age of 15-18 regarding the subject engineering, its prospects in the future and the right field of engineering for a student. It was quite an experience and nice to see many students who were a bit confused about engineering, grow comfortable with idea of multiple branches, huge scope and wide possibilities in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment