Friday, 15 July 2016

Cooking for yourself

Self-catering and cooking for yourself: yay or nay?

When I came to university with the top skills of knowing how to cook noodles, eggs, toast and a PBJ sandwich, self-catering seemed synonymous to impending starvation or food poisoning! But here I am 2 years later, accepting requests to cook my (infamous :O) chicken curry for friends. How did this happen? Simple – self-catering accommodation.

After a month or so, I had gotten utterly sick of ready-to-eat meals especially pizza, pasta and sandwiches, I bit the bullet and decided to cook my meals from scratch. It would take me about 2 hours to cook simple things that took my mother like 30 minutes (how?!) but it was definitely worth it. I started off with simple stuff like vegetable stir-fries, marinade and grilled chicken/fish and baked potatoes which required minimal skills. The more I cooked meals, the time taken to prepare gradually decreased eventually making it quite feasible to do this on a daily basis.

The internet has many hidden treasures filled with simple yet delicious recipes for students! However, being slightly more traditional, I bought myself a cook book around ’30-minute recipes’ which taught me many new cuisines and flavours. These are some pictures of the meals I’d make by the end of first year (chilli con carne and chicken curry):




So my thoughts about self-catering? GO FOR IT! Not only will you discover the hidden chef inside you but soon you might just enter the magical lands of baking..ah baking.. but that’s a whole other blog altogether J (but still, here’s a picture of something I had baked in first year)



1 comment:

  1. I'm about to start university myself and I’ve been mulling over these sorts of issue, so I find it relevant to me personally. Your blog has inspired me to try cooking for myself. It seems like I will be eating much healthier and cheaper food. I guess you also learn an important life skill for once you leave Uni, too!

    Teri Harris @ Caiger And Co Catering

    ReplyDelete